The Latest

Tommy "Two-Face" Koch Tries to Snow GLBT Voters

From KnowThyNeighbor.org we learn that Tom Koch is trying to put a spin on the fact he signed the failed anti-gay marriage petition. Koch tries to explain himself in a letter posted on QuincyforMarriageEquality.com:



"The teachings of my upbringing and faith frame my belief that marriage exists between a man and a woman, and I will not try to spin that belief for political purposes. But the fact is, it has nothing to do with being mayor, and I will fight any attempt at character assassination that stretches this position any further than what it is: My personal belief.



I believe every person should be treated equally, and with respect and dignity. This is who I am, and I will challenge anyone who suggests otherwise. I built a 20-year public service career on these values and I am proud of my record. I am running for mayor because I believe strongly that we need to treat people, no matter who they are or what they believe, with dignity and respect.



We’re a city of many different people with many different backgrounds, beliefs and perspectives, and we need a mayor who stands up for everybody. That is the leader I believe I am and will be in the future.



As mayor, I will swear to uphold the laws of the Commonwealth, and that is exactly what I intend to do. I believe strongly that we have many issues that we need to address as neighbors and as a community – from taxes, to public safety, to traffic and over-development. None of them are related in any way to marriage.



I understand this is a deeply emotional and important issue to many, and I that may lose votes because of my personal belief. That is unfortunate, but it will not change our pursuit of an open, responsive and respectful City Hall. Our community deserves that, regardless of where our neighbors stand on this specific issue.



I will say we have many people who strongly support gay marriage and are in leadership roles in various organizations who are working just as hard on our campaign. I know they would be happy to explain how they have separated the two issues.



Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you have any questions about this or any other issue, please feel free to contact me anytime."



Best Wishes,



Tom (Koch)



I'm sorry Tom, I'm not buying what you're selling. I do not believe that someone who signs a petition to vote away the rights of their fellow citizens has a place as the mayor of a major Massachusetts city, especially when your campaign bumper sticker shows up next to a hateful one like shown in this picture. Explain all you want Tom, the only way you are going to convince me that you are not a bigot is by walking the walk. When you can say that all people are created equal in the eyes of their government and that you will do everything in your power to protect marriage equality, then and only then should people start to listen.

No comments: